Saturday, February 2, 2013

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies


A classic combination: Cookies & Milk!
My sister-in-law Jess is an enviable woman: beautiful, intelligent, kind and classy. She won my family over immediately, including my notoriously slow-to-warm daughter (now her biggest fan), with her easy-going charm. We were thrilled when she became my brother’s missus last year

Yes, to look at her she’s the total package. But then you’d learn, as we eventually did, of her one tragic flaw. You see, Jess cannot stand the mouthwatering, beloved, classic combination of peanut butter and chocolate.

Look at all these name brands!
I know. You’re thinking: “Throw her over!” Not like chocolate and peanut butter together? It’s downright un-American, isn’t it? Disturbing in the extreme.

Like in-laws the world over, I’m hoping to fix Jess. If the Time Capsule can cure me of my snobbery toward Cool Whip and margarine, surely it can help Jess overcome her dislike of one of the world’s great – dare I say ultimate – flavor duos. And so, in honor of her birthday later this month, I pay tribute to my sweet sister-in-law with these delicious cookies that any sane person without a nut allergy would be, well, nuts not to love.

You'll want to eat the batter at this stage ...
These Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are included on a recipe card with eight other delights that I hope will soon make their Time Capsule debut. I’d date the insert to the mid-‘80s based on the package design of the featured ingredients, among them Nestle Toll House Morsels and Peter Pan Peanut Butter (peanutty!).

Easy and quick, these need little updating. Next time, I would add the entire package of chocolate chips and try not to eat as much of the batter. It’s dangerous, and now you’ve been warned. If you have more willpower than I do, you’ll discover a cookie bursting with peanut flavor and crunch, and ooey-gooey melted chocolate.

... and this one ...
Before posting this entry, I texted my brother one last time to confirm that things hadn’t changed since I saw them last at Christmas – Jess still disliked peanut butter and chocolate. He replied in the affirmative and added, “it is her most annoying trait!” But some things in life are more important than dessert. So if this remains Jess’s most annoying trait, than my brother is indeed a lucky man. He and Jess go together like, well, peanut butter and chocolate.

... and this one.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

1-1/4 cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour
¾ measuring teaspoon baking soda
½ measuring teaspoon baking powder
¼ measuring teaspoon salt
¾ cup Peter Pan creamy peanut butter
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup sugar
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
½ measuring teaspoon vanilla extract
5 measuring tablespoons milk
1 egg
One 6-ounce package (1 cup) Nestle Semi-Sweet Real Chocolate Morsels
½ cup chopped peanuts (optional)

Use an ice-cream scoop for portioning.
Notes:
·      I am loyal to Jif peanut butter, no matter what the recipe says. I am also loyal to real vanilla extract. No imitation here! (I’ll save that for the margarine and Cool Whip!)
·      I baked these on Silpats – those silicone baking sheet liners.
·      Don’t you agree it’s a little irresponsible of this recipe to insist on putting the word “measuring” before all of the smaller measurements, than totally disregard that emphasis when it comes to the larger quantities? Me too.

So delicious! Are you listening Jess?!?
Why Don’t You …
·      Use crunchy peanut butter and save a step?
·      Enjoy these while enjoying another classic combination: Cagney & Lacey? Mulder & Scully? Tango & Cash?

1 comment:

  1. I'll bet even Jess will be won over by your cookies if you make them for her the next time she visits. In the mean time, some of these might magically show up at the Russell house too . . .

    ReplyDelete