Thursday, October 4, 2012

"Pumkin" Pie


Brace yourselves, dear readers, because the Time Capsule is about to enter THE BISQUICK PHASE. A section in which all recipes are “impossibly” created in the blender, using everyone’s favorite pancake mix!

(We’ve also entered the PUMPKIN PHASE, but that just doesn’t send chills down my spine in the same way.)

I have a soft spot in my heart for Betty Crocker’s ubiquitous baking mix. Bisquick was in heavy rotation in my house growing up – mostly for pancakes and strawberry shortcake. And don’t get me started on the joys of “Impossible Pie” – which weirdly yet magically forms its own crust while baking. (If you’ve never had the pleasure, don’t worry: Next up in THE BISQUICK PHASE is the recipe adjacent to “Pumkin” Pie: Cheeseburger Pie.)

In my teens, Bisquick played another important role. I would skip school and head to a friend’s house … to make Bisquick coffee cake. Yes, you read that correctly. I wasn’t sneaking off to see my college-age boyfriend, or smoking cigarettes behind the dumpster. I was skipping Pre-Calc to make brunch.  

But, enough reminiscing. Here we are, the first week of October, and I’m itching to start my fall baking. My husband and I often lament that, although we love it, we only eat pumpkin pie in the short window between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Enter this sweet little recipe – 9-year-old's misspelling and all. While I’m not sure this “pumkin” will qualify as real pie, it’s worth a shot for a Tuesday night.

What’s not to love about a pie you whip up in the blender? It took all of three minutes to dump the ingredients into the pitcher and hit “puree.” The only thing I’ve made that’s been easier was the Chocolate Peanut-Butter Milkshake, and that, you know, seemed appropriate – since it was a milkshake. But I’m not complaining about any dessert with such a short prep. The real test, as always, is the taste.

After baking for 55 minutes, my “Pumkin” Pie ie was ready. Taste and smell are powerful memories, and with one bite it really did feel like the last Thursday in November instead of the first Tuesday in October.

This is more pumpkin custard than pie, but it hits all the right notes: Creamy, spicy, pumpkin-y. Like traditional pumpkin pie, it is best served chilled. The Bisquick really does its magic to firm up the bottom. And, while not a “crust” by any stretch of the imagination, it does definitely have a bottom layer.

It’s tasty, but it’s no pie. Then again, it’s not Thanksgiving. I say, give it try when you just have to have the comfort of the holidays, but you only have five minutes to spare. Or, you know, you’ve skipped Senior math and need something to do …

"Pumkin" Pie
¾ cup sugar
½ cup Bisquick baking mix
2 T. margarine
1 can (13 oz) evaporated milk
2 eggs
1 can (16 oz) pumpkin
2-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons vanilla

Heat oven to 350-degrees. Grease 9” pie plate. Beat all ingredients until smooth; 1 minute in blender on high or 2 minutes with hand beater. Pour into plate. Bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean, 50-55 minutes.

Notes:
·      I don’t use prepared pumpkin pie spice. Here, I used 1 tsp. each of cinnamon and ginger, and ¼ tsp. each of cloves and nutmeg. Add or subtract spices as you see fit.
·      Definitely better the longer it chills. And few things don’t improve with a dollop of whipping cream, am I right?
 
Why Don’t You …
·      Consider this a “lighter” alternative to regular pie?

No comments:

Post a Comment